Monday, June 13, 2011

Friendship Fail

Recently there have been a lot of posts online (or maybe I'm just noticing them more) saying that:
We all have at least 300 friends [online]; but when it comes to needing someone to talk to, how many would actually be there for you? I can guarantee not even 1 of your [online] friends will copy this status. If you would be there for me, set this as your status & see how many of us would be there for you! (I just did for 1 of my friends) Let's try it out & see. Prove me wrong friend.
This is silly.

1. I don't have time to repost this ridiculous message after each and every one of my friends posts it (or something like it). If you have the time and energy to spend doing this, great for you. I have friends that I'd like to talk to in person, on the phone, or at least in a letter (digital or paper). Satisfying every needy networker is not how I want to keep in touch.
2. Furthermore, if my 'cut and paste' response is what you need to validate my friendship, I'm sorry it means so little to you. I know who my friends are and what they'll do for me when I need them.
3. Not all friends are created equal. Some friends will take the first plane across the country to be at your dog's funeral. Some will help you move every year (love you guys, and I'm still sorry for the sore backs but am also eternally grateful...). Some will cheer you up on a bad day. Some won't talk to you for a year, but if you meet up or call, it's like no time at all passed. Some may be physically out of your life, but eternally in your memories, either due to time, distance, or tragedy. Be grateful for all kinds of friends, even the ones that seem absent. They all have a place and a purpose.
4. Finally, if you're that insecure about who your friends are, and feel the need to post 'friendship tests' online, maybe you should take the initiative and call, reach out, drive over, whatever it takes to rekindle the spark. Everyone talks about keeping the love alive in a marriage, but it's just as important in all partnerships, and friendship is one of them. Like a marriage, friendship takes two to tango, and sometimes there are periods of distance, or where one person is the 'giver' and one person is the 'taker' for a while. As long as it's not a permanent state, it's ok, roll with it.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment