Sunday, October 2, 2011

A True Story

 



One day not too long ago, I encountered a creature who was lying in wait just inches away from where I was standing. I decided to capture the killer and display it as a trophy before letting it go back into the wilds, in order to test my fortitude. Arming myself with only a trap and my wits, I crept back to the place where I had spotted it, and raising my hand, faced off with the creature. Its eyes looked into mine, its legs tensed, ready to spring. Flash! My hand sprang forward before it could pounce, and the beast was mine.

I held it for some time as a trophy of my prowess, but in the end succumbed to my merciful nature. Taking it still in its cage back to the area from whence it came, I lifted the lid of the trap and watched as it breathed fresh air. It almost seemed reluctant to leave, and I did not understand why. How was I to know that it had begun to make a new home while in captivity? I rattled the cage, I beat on the sides, and finally I upturned the thing to force the creature out! How dare it not take advantage of this kindness, when I could have easily kept it in my clutches! But the beast was more cunning than I had given it credit for, and as soon as it was out of the cage it tensed its legs again, ready to pounce. I backed away, not prepared for another encounter and wary of its vengeance. It looked at me, and I at it, and many seconds went by with neither of us breathing or moving. Finally, it began circling to my left. I backed to my right. It made a dash for a ledge off to my side, probably preparing to launch itself at me! I had prepared for a strategic retreat, however, and had released the thing near a barrier which it could not penetrate. As it ran along the ledge, I backed into my fortress and sealed the barrier, watching the beast's reaction to my actions. Predictably, it stopped, confused and unsure how to proceed. Satisfied, I turned my back on it for the first time since letting it go, secure in my fortifications.

Sometimes, at night, I still see it running along the edge, seeking cracks in my walls that it may exact revenge for its time in captivity. I can only hope I did not make a mistake.

1 comment:

  1. Poor guy probably just feels like it has lost another home and wants back in. :(

    ReplyDelete