Friday, November 4, 2011

Reeeally Old Poem


Found this in the archives and decided to dust it off. Minor editing done from the original (not content, just a word or two and some punctuation fixes). 

A Prayer and a Promise


Why should I be so surprised
To find I still open my eyes?
After all this time they’ve been closed,
Eventually I had to know
That someday light would lift my lids,
Uncover all that darkness hid.
Like Plato come out of the cave,
I am a queen, made from a slave.
And now I see the world around,
And add to that the touch, the sound.
Oh, I don’t claim to sense it all,
For who am I, but one so small?
I don’t leave a footprint on a stone.
When I face the ocean, I still feel alone.
No, I still don't have the answers I seek.
I’m stronger now, but still I’m weak.
But when my eyes are no longer burning
From light’s first kiss, I’ll start my journeying.
And from this day of my first breath,
I swear to me I’ll never rest.
I may fall down, I may yet bleed,
But till death be my final deed,
I’ll take my heart and all it owns,
I swear to reap whate’er is sown,
I’ll love, I’ll lose, I’ll laugh, I’ll cry,
But till I live, I’ll never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment